The mission of the Suva Marathon Club/Trust (SMC) is to provide the community with organized running events in which to promote the sport of long distance and road running and the benefits we believe it provides to all members, regardless of age or ability.
These benefits include, but are not limited to, physical activity, which contributes to a healthy lifestyle, friendship, and social interaction as well as community outreach and support.
The Code of Conduct is created for the safety and benefit of SMC, its members and visitors.
It is not meant to dictate all interpersonal relationships and interactions between members or between members and the community. Instead, the purpose of this policy is to set forth the basic principles of decency we expect members to follow so that members can achieve their running goals in a safe and fun environment.
As a SMC member, you agree to:
- Always show respect to your fellow club members;
- Always show respect and appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to help the SMC and/or SMC events;
- Refrain from verbal (yelling, taunting, threatening) or physical violence upon anyone at a SMC race, or other club event;
- Refrain from making racial, ethnic, religious, age, sexual-orientation or gender-related slurs or derogatory comments at SMC events;
- Refrain from making unwanted sexual or physical contact with other members, volunteers or members of the community at SMC events. Members shall not act in a manner that can be deemed as sexual harassment, which includes unwelcome sexual advances, unwelcome requests for sexual favors and any other unwelcome verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature;
- Refrain from acting in a manner that disrupts or impedes SMC events, damages or uses its owned properties in any fashion deemed detrimental to the SMC;
- Follow all traffic/pedestrian laws and club rules when participating in SMC running events.
Failure to follow the Code of Conduct may lead to a member’s expulsion from SMC.
Violations of the Code of Conduct are to be presented to the SMC President, who shall investigate the circumstances of the allegations and report the findings to the Management Board of SMC.
The Management Board shall review the findings of the President at its next scheduled meeting to determine whether further action is necessary. The Management Board, in its discretion, may fashion a remedy depending on the severity of the Code of Conduct violation. Sanctions may include, but are not limited to, a verbal warning, a written warning, referral of the matter to proper law enforcement, or the cancellation of SMC membership.
The Management Board shall allow the accused member an opportunity to be heard, the accused may petition/address the either in writing or in person, prior to any cancellation of any SMC membership.
Athletics Fiji Code of Conduct for Athletes
As a member of Athletics Fiji, the governing body for the sport of athletics in Fiji, and our ruling Federation, all members should understand and abide by the Athletics Fiji – Policy and Procedures – Code of Conduct for Athletes.
- Approved : March 5, 2016
- Revision #1 : 8 November 2018
- Revision #2 : 12 November 2019
- Revision #3 : 7 March 2020
- Approved by SMC Management Board, 7 March 2020